Thursday, September 11, 2014

Can I trust God?

Can I trust God? This is a title from day one of a devotional I'm doing by Jerry Bridges. My personal answer is absolutely! The reason I can be so bold is because I have seen Him do amazing things in my life and others around me. I know that He is indeed God.

I read a verse this weekend while up in the mountains. It was so powerful to me I decided to commit it to memory. Psalm 36:7 says, "How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."

Therefore

It is because of His lovingkindness that I can put my trust in Him.

Today in my devotional I read another verse that I want to commit to memory. Heb 3:12 says, "Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God."

take care, or take heed, watch out, be careful, beware

an unbelieving heart is evil and it leads you to fall away from God

leading you, takes you away, causes you to depart, abandon, turns you away, diverting, forsake

Bridges says, "Obeying God is worked out within well-defined boundaries of God's revealed will, while trusting God must be worked out in an arena with no boundaries, where we're always coping with the unknown."

"In order to trust God, we must always view our adverse circumstances through the eyes of faith, not of sense."

Reminds me of the lyrics in the song "Ocean"

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior
So, yes I trust God.
Today
But I need to always guard that trust, because as soon as I begin to doubt, my heart turns me away.
It is nothing new is it?
Not trusting God, not believing His lovingkindness, goes all the way back to the garden.
God can be trusted.
It is our own hearts that cannot

No comments: