Saturday, January 3, 2009

Broken Hearted

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
After all the kids were in bed and asleep (or so I thought), I heard crying so I went in their room to see who it was. Little Professor was the one crying. When I asked him what the matter was, he said he was missing Tata. He had been remembering and thinking about the funeral.
How does one comfort a seven year old? Somehow telling him his Great Grandfather is with Jesus just doesn't seem to do it.
I told him, it was okay to be sad. And as I cried with him, I told him about the verses in psalms where God says he heals the brokenhearted. We prayed together, and then we prayed for Grandma and all of her sons and daughters who miss Tata also.
We talked about emotions and how we were created by God to express them. Then we talked about what Tata might be doing right now with Jesus.
Little Professor said he knew he was very lucky to have known his Great Grandfather, especially since he fought in WWII. Then the topic turned to war and we talked about as many wars in the Bible that we could think of. We said goodnight and even though he was sad, I really believe he went to sleep knowing that his God is in control.
I'm still sad, even three hours later.
My tears fall freely because, after all, I miss my Grandpa too!
Psalm 34:18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

1 comment:

Carla Madrid said...

Great picture of Grandpa. I enjoyed reading this story too. It is so important to allow yourself your kids and others to deal with emotions. Good job!!