Wednesday, April 1, 2009

First reaction - PRAY


Today an interesting thing happened. Horrifying to me actually, but I just had to write about it.


I had to pick up "Lover Boy" early from preschool because he wasn't feeling too well. I didn't mind except that it cut my visit short with a dear friend. The weather had really started to change quickly and by the time we were leaving from picking up "Curious George" from his pre-K class the wind had picked up and it was snowing.


I "strongly" suggested we get to the car quickly because of the cold, but I did not say go crazy and start pushing each other. As we approached the gate to get out of the school yard, "Curious George" unlatched it and was through it in a flash. I'm not sure what happened with "Lover Boy", but he missed and ended up hitting the handle (that sticks straight out) with his face. At first I thought it was his forehead that was hit. As he screamed in pain we rushed to the car to get out of the wind so I could look at him more carefully. I asked him what he had hit and with his eyes closed shut he said his eyeball.


I laid hands on him and prayed immediately, asking God to protect his vision, protect his eye and help me to be calm. Then I made him open his eye. It was dark red and his tears that I wiped with a tissue were pink. I started to panic and prayed again. When I finished I was still shaking, all I could think about was how hard he hit that handle. I examined his eye again. There wasn't even a hint of pink, he looked at me and said,"no hurt no more mommy". Praise God! I couldn't hold back my tears of gratitude and awe.


Thank You Lord for protecting my baby!


On the way home the conversation was about losing eyeballs and how to pop them back in. Whether or not they bounce and what it would be like to be blind in one eye. I smiled as my 5 year old and 3 year old discussed these things, knowing full well the truth, that God stepped in and protected my son from a very real and scary situation.

1 comment:

Archrisan said...

Makes we wonder how many times we survived because of Mom's prayers.