Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Being Still When You Don't Have The Choice

“Come with Me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” Mark 6:31

The plan was to leave our kids at my parents in New Mexico, pick up my two single brothers and come to Pogosa Springs for two nights so we could ski. It has been over ten years since any of us have hit the slopes, and Wolf Creek has lots of snow.

That was the plan.

The reality is that the snow has not stopped falling since we got here. White out conditions have kept us inside. We were supposed to leave this morning, but the roads are too treacherous so we will be staying another night.

It is very quiet and very peaceful. There are only adults with me so I’m experiencing extreme quietness. It is funny, but I really miss the pitter patter of precious little feet. I miss the laughter and all the noises (sometimes very annoying noises). With three little boys there is always a lot of noise at my house.

If I would have known all this free time would have been mine, I would have brought more stuff to fill it. At my mom’s I have three boxes of Christmas Cards to address and sign, a couple of books I want to finish and my journal. I would have brought those things, but instead I’m forced to relax and enjoy “time” itself.

Today I have time; time to think, time to contemplate, time to plan, time to just sit and take it all in. I have time to listen.

God will You speak?

“The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zep. 3:17

“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do before your eyes!” 1 Sam. 12:16

No comments: