Thursday, December 11, 2008

Traditions

Some people like them others do not. I really enjoy traditions. I like to do things on purpose to make memories all year round, but especially at Christmas time.

Some of our family traditions are more spiritual, such as doing an Advent Calendar, reading the Christmas story in the Bible, and setting up the Nativity. Other traditions are on the crafty side, decorating a gingerbread house, making salt dough ornaments, baking for the neighbors, stringing popcorn, and making the longest paper chain we can. I like sending out a Christmas letter and looking for pictures to put in my personalized family calendar. Every year I read “Cosmic Christmas” by Max Lucado (I just love that book). We try to go out and look at Christmas lights as a family and take a family photo to share with others.

The only problem I have with my Christmas traditions is that I have to start planning in November or else I’m rushing at the end to try to get them all in. Some years I am better at it than others. This year I wasn’t so good at it. The lights are still in their boxes waiting to be hung and we are a few days behind on our Advent Calendar. My Christmas letter is just notes, and the ginger bread house kit is still in the box. I’m not stressed about it, at least not yet. This year, if I don’t get it all done I’m okay with that. At least I think I am. I want my children to have positive memories of this time, and not having a stressed out momma will make all the difference.

I just have to keep telling myself that.

Over and over again



1 comment:

shalom said...

i will always remember the tradition of the sanchez family getting together on Christmas Eve. There was just something so magical about those times. When we were coming home we would always look for lights. but i can remember running around your house and going up and down your stairs. i miss those days of being a kid, sitting at the feet of Grandpa and hearing his stories. something just amazing about our whole family getting together. :)