Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Playground As A Kid

I grew up in El Cerro which is east of a little town called Los Lunas. Los Lunas is south of Albuquerque in New Mexico. My mother grew up here as did her mother and father before her.

My brothers and I used to play on these hills when we were kids. We had many adventures.

Every hill and valley had a name. These pictures were taken from the top of the hill we called "where the moon landed".

This is looking toward the valley and the hill in the background is Los Lunas hill. This is the way I used to walk to get to my grandparents house.Me and my three boys looking down from the top of "where the moon landed".
Today I stayed at the top and let the boys wander around on their own. Many times I would say a prayer and hold my breath till they were in sight again.
This is a zoomed in picture of the one above. They had so much fun. Oh how I love these hills. But there didn't used to be tire tracks or houses in the background.
When I played on these hills and fought off the pirates and other bandits in my adventures, I knew someday I would see my own kids playing. I just didn't know how much it would make me smile.

This time of year is perfect because the snakes are not out. Just watch out for cactus!
Lover Boy found many more rocks to add to our collection.

Papa Ernest joined us in our hunt for great rocks. Little Professor was looking for rare finds. Curious George was looking for any rock that sparkled in the sunlight. Lover Boy just tried to find the biggest and the heaviest rocks.
Here comes Daddy. Now he and Papa can take the boys on an adventure walk. I'm going to hang out with my mom and try to figure out my grandmother's old sewing machine.







No comments: