Monday, December 8, 2008


Comfort Zone

The other night I sort of hosted a table at the Women's Christmas Tea at church. I say sort of because the dishes weren't mine, nor the napkins, or silverware, candle holders, or even the center piece for that matter. My contribution was a white teapot that I got two days before for six bucks at Ross, oh and candles plus the name tags to mark where each of the ladies were to sit. Even the gifts were not from me but from Women's Ministry.

This sort of thing is out of my comfort zone. I feel very uncomfortable with breakable items and even though I wish I had an eye for décor, I know that I really don’t. It just doesn’t flow naturally from me. With that said, I did enjoy the actual event. The music was soothing, the fellowship with the ladies at my table was encouraging, and the speakers were wonderful. I got my ticket free for hosting and the food was good. But if you asked me if I had fun hosting, I’d have to say no, even though I will do it again.

I actually think that is strange. Why do something out of my comfort zone? I could have just gone to the tea and paid for the ticket, it was definitely worth the money. Why put myself out there? The more I pondered this, the more I felt better about doing it. I’m finally taking chances on my growth.

I did a quick search starting with the dictionary, and found these comments about “comfort zones” interesting.

“An environment or situation in which a person feels secure or at ease; also figuratively, an established lifestyle in which a person feels comfortable as long as there is no drastic change” Webster's New Millennium™ Dictionary of English

“This personal “comfort zone” is the invisible, but very real area that defines the boundaries of what we know and understand. By staying within this comfort zone we reassure ourselves that we are safe. And as long as we are safely held within the walls of what we know we feel secure and confident.” Edward Mills

I guess for me and where I’m at on my journey, I’m finally ready to do more than just what I know. I think if it helps someone else it makes it easier. Stepping out of the familiar is a way to somehow control the growth in my life, because it was my decision to do it. I think for me, the reason I really don’t like doing things that I am not sure of is fear. Fear of failure, fear of looking stupid, fear of letting others down. I have always stayed away from situations that made me uncomfortable, and usually missed out on something. I remember one instance when I was at a family reunion in my young teens. Everyone was playing volley ball and even though I wanted to play I couldn’t because I was crippled by fear. Fear that I would mess up, miss the ball, and let my team down. My favorite cousin said that I was the only reason I wasn’t having fun. She went and played, and I watched. I knew she was totally right, but I just couldn’t do it. This kind of thing has happened way too many times in my life over the last 30 years.

The time has come for me to take some chances. I am a role model for my three boys, and I don’t want them to be afraid to learn by making mistakes. But if I’m going to model this for them I have to be more courageous, try things, and make mistakes of my own. Don’t get me wrong, I have made plenty of mistakes in my life. Those mistakes were the negative consequences of poor choices, not because I tried to do something new. I have always loved the verse in Philippians 4:13 that says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” I have believed this verse, (and I’ve even taught it to my children) but only as it applied to things that I had to do. Now I will need to apply it to things that I’m choosing to stick my neck out and do.

Things to do outside of my comfort zone:
Start a blog (hey, I did this one yeah!)
Cook pork, beef (not ground), and fish (not sticks)

I know my list is small but I must take baby steps, plus I’m too afraid to admit to more just yet.

What about you?
Have you done something out of your comfort zone lately?
Are you glad you did?

No comments: